09 January 2013

Pregnancy week 9: hyperemesIs gravidarum

I haven't had anything to eat since yesterday morning. The reason is, i vomit everything..even water. The meds i got never really helped. Yesterday was my week-9 appointment with my midwife at 11am. She took my blood after struggling to find my hard-to-see thin vessel on the 3rd shot with the needle. Everything looked fine until she checked my pressure (90/60) and found Ketones in my urine sample. Oh and to add on to that, i lost 3kg.  She looked concerned and immediately sent me to the hospital to get me treated by the gynecologist. My journey to Huddinge sjukhus began.

Unlucky me...

Unfortunately I'm part of that tiny 2% of pregnant women who go through hyperemesis gravidarum.  I vomit violently to the point where my body becomes so dehydrated that I lose a lot of electrolites and sugars and stuff.  Drastic change of weight in a short period of time. Feel like fainting half the time. Yup, I'm the victim.

As soon as i got there, the nurses did a blood test again. And AGAIN they couldn't find my vessel, so they stuck needles on me and took them out until they found the right place. I was a freakin pin cushion!

Doctor said I'm not in good shape and that i needed to stay in the hospital for a few days.  FEW DAYS????My body was completely dehydrated. They injected my other arm with a bag of IV and here i am now laying in the hospital with my 4th bag of IV.  What a pain it is to take a huge equipement with you wherever you go...especially the bathroom.  I have been admitted to the hospital yesterday noon and ever since then, my body hasn't taken in anything (no food) except vitamin B6 shots, IV fluid, and a whole bunch of medicine (antacids).  I had NO sleep last night because my right arm (the one with the IV injected) stung and hurt horribly.  Nurse lady at night duty did NOT want to change my arm cz she was too damn lazy! All she said at 3am was "the pain is normal..it's because the drop is running fast," and left with a freakin annoying smile! Finally got it changed to my left arm at 8am! Much better!

I will be staying in huddinge sjukhus one more night (let's hope i recover fast). So boring! Can't even eat anything.  I think I got so depressed at one point that I started watching Cinderella on my ipad.

The Baby...

Oh! I left out one very important news.  In the middle of all this chaos something took me to another world.  First ultrasound! Right before that stiffness when they stuck that thing inside me, my attention went to the small screen beside me. A miracle inside me...moving, growing, wiggling....it was incredible.  It wasn't like last time, where I saw an empty womb.  No....I never felt so thankful in my life. I saw my baby....

I got an ultrasound done yesterday. I saw my little grape! Finally a fetus and it sure looked like one! I had never seen something as cute as that! It was moving so fast!  The body was almost clear with the ittybitty fingers,limbs and head. Just amazing! That was truely the highlight of my day!  I almost cried! I have no idea how I will react when I see the real ultrasound at 4 months????  Or is it 5????

Anyways....being hospitalized sucks big time.

No comments:

Post a Comment