24 March 2011

My Story behind Viva la vida and Amazing voices of Penn Masala

Have you ever had a special song?  Or a song that brought back a piece of sweet memory? I have many.  But at this moment, I want to share a specific song that brings back one of the sweetest memories i could possibly think of.  The funny part is, this isn't even a romantic gushy mushy kind of song, yet it's the tune that reminds me of that special day I had with my husband on my first trip to Sweden. It was the beginning of my new life.

We had our little family get together in Sweden back in August 2009, and had our personal tour of Stockholm (and let me tell you, Stockholm in the summer is like paradise!), and finally the engagement ceremony which was filled with so many different kinds of emotions that are so hard to express even now.  The day after the engagement evening, we (me, my husband and his brothers and cousin) reserved the entire day from early morning to late afternoon for a short cruise.

The beautiful ship took us across the small islands and near Finland, and it was an amazing view of the sea.  I remember every moment of me  and my husband (fiance at the time).  I was around new family members, but it was strange how it felt as if I've known them for ages.  We all enjoyed eachother's company.  Then there remained times when it was just me and him.  Those moments were priceless.  Even if it was just romaing around the ship, or falling asleep like a baby all exhausted from the engagement party the night before in eachother's arms, or laughing and joking, taking pictures...every small moment is worth remembering. 

I remember there was this kareoke place in the middle of the ship, right by the railing where tourists could enjoy the wonderful view of the water as people sang there hearts out for their loved ones no matter how good or terrible they sounded.  For a while, i started getting a little bored.  But it was a different kind of boredom.  The kind that you rarely experience nowadays.  The kind you actually want instead of excessive stress.    

This kareoke emerged..it happened to be a song i listened to quite often before coming to Sweden.  The familiar tune made me smile for some reason, and the next thing i know, this lady started to sing the song.  I listened to the lyrics and I started realizing how the time was changing in front of my eyes.  "I used to rule the world, seas would rise when i gave the word..."  a voice sang... "Now in the morning I sleep alone, sweep the streets I used to own..."  It was my time now, and knowing the continuity and reality of life, I know that there will be a day when I will lose everything that I once had...All my treasures...all my loved ones.. so all i can do now is live the moment and be so thankful for what I have.  My life was only missing one thing, and now I got that too.  The man that was right in front of me completed my heart.  What more could I have asked for?  Time was flying..my life was changing..and to consider that one day, I will have to let go of it all, really hit me as I listened to the song and saw his twinkling eyes looking at me with a smile slowly appearing on his face.

Viva la vida - Coldplay :)

but since im a desi girl, I'm in the mood of listening to this little mix of viva la vida and jashnebahr (jodha akbar) another amazing song sung by Penn Masala (the first hindi a cappella group).  A very talented group of desi guys who use only their voice as musical instruments.  It's amazing how a human voice can be expressed in so many different ways!




2 comments:

  1. I love your article! You must start writing a Book!! MashAllah you are good!


    XX
    jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jenny! You are the sweetest..im happy you liked reading it!

    ReplyDelete