13 March 2011

To Ammu and Abbu. . . .

This one's for mom and dad.

i miss
how she called me for dinner several times while i was in my room busy with other things like studying or just talking to a friend.

i miss
how he always greeted me with so much love and warmth even on his worst days, even when i disappointed him, even when i hurt him.

i miss
how they would never miss my calls and give me all the time in the world while putting aside busy work at their job or ignoring the crap their bosses would say about no phone calls during work.

i miss
how she made and stitched my clothes for me even though her eyes would burn, hand, bones would ache, but she still would continue sewing my dress the one whole day she was off from work.

i miss
how he would bring a brand new blockbuster movie energetically each night after a tiring lousy day of work just so we can enjoy our time as a family

i miss
our long family road trips to philadelphia, texas, canada, florida, new york where we would bring home-made pitas as snacks.  Though i don't miss those deadly tornado storms during night driving in the highway.

i miss
our small stone mountain trips, even though half of them were not successful due to the huge summer thunderstorms which would cancel the stone mountain laser show.

i miss
the evenings we would cheerfully go to see a new bollywood movie of shahrukh khan in the movie theater with our popcorn and samosas and not regret a single scene of the movie.

i miss
his neverending depressing bengali songs he would make up and sing out loud while he did the dishes or showered.

i miss
her wonderful contagious laugh that lit up the entire house.

i miss
how he never ever would sound like a bengali when he spoke his southern style english

i miss
my childhood favorite bengali-style tomato soup with rice whenever i got sick.

i miss
how they never ever told people my weakness but instead, told everyone what a wonderful smart lady i had become and that not a single one of my decisions would ever be wrong, because they trust me.

i miss
seeing their priceless expressions on their face whenever i played simple music on the piano for them.

i miss
how much they would appreciate the way i truly am.

i miss
the late night chocolate dipped icecream i would have at my parent's workplace before we all went home.

i miss
the strawberry milkshakes she would bring for me along with the yummy burgers, sandwhiches, applepie, pizza, hot wings.

i miss
how he brought a couple things home like my favorite junkfood, snack, drink over and over and over again even after i would get tired of it.

i miss
the pizza nights

i miss
the Shab-e-barat nights when we all prayed together for hours.  Those were by far the best most peaceful nights for me.

i miss
our family talks which would start out normally during dinner time and end with roars of laughter after doing all the dishes.

i miss
when they would run to the pharmacy in the middle of the night to get medicine for me due to my unexpected fever.

i miss
the mother-daughter shopping weekends.  I never wanted those moments to end.

i miss
the father-daughter smooth talks, where he would always be optimistic, take my side, and come up with a fair solution (fair for me at least).

i miss
when he helped me do my math and physics homework with his weird complex equations and my english and social studies papers with his great opinionated thoughts.

i miss
how she massaged my painful leg all night when it would frequently hurt like hell from playing or jumproping or exercising, maybe even dancing?

i miss
the trip to Disney World 1996.

i miss
when i would run to their room in the middle of the night to be with them because of the scary nightmare or the horrible storm.

i miss
that perfect sweet and simple life (it feels like a dream now)

i love
how simple this man thinks of this world despite knowing the horrible complexities of life.

i love
how honest and hardworking this woman is and never once bragged about her amazing qualities.

it's shocking
how they never yelled at me, never in my life..

it's amazing
how much they love me.  Only I know that.

Just some small incidents that i will always cherish.  The bigger incidents puts me to tears..
I love my parents more than anything, and this feeling will never ever change. 

7 comments:

  1. Just a real feelings u shared....its really heart touching...no one could understand if that person does not go through this stages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your right..and this is for everybody who live far from their loved ones...we realize all the mistakes we made by hurting them, even if it wasn't that big of a deal at the time, and start regretting and missing what we once called ordinary days in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, just out of curiosity where in Sweden do you live? I'm actually a american raised Bengali girl in Sweden now, I came here about 8 months ago. It's very nice to read about someone who knows both end of the two culture that is west and east. I found myself smiling as I read your posts about your life, as I related to them so easily. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I moved to sweden last March and we are currently living in Skärholmen. Hope you are enjoying it here :D lol you are the first Bengali-american that I know here. That's so cool. Is Tanjida your name? Because it is so close to mine. Just one letter off (Tanjina). Another thing we have in common :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading this just tears r coming out...... miss my parents badly :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hats off to my Khalamoni and Khalu! :')

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is somewhat fantastic, and yet check out the advice at this treat.. cultured ghee vs ghee

    ReplyDelete