09 March 2011

A Thought of our Loved Ones

When you are living abroad and have family back home, an unexpected late-night phone call is the last thing you want.  My parents are all alone in the US now, and i have the rest of my family scattered in the US, Bangladesh and Belgium.  I miss my parents terribly, especially since I am the only child. 

Though I was strangely tired last night, I had the hardest time falling asleep.  When I finally did fall asleep, I had this hazy dream of my parents..it was an ordinary dream of my ordinary life before marriage.  Something I miss extremely.  Then suddenly in the darkness I heard constand vibrating.  By the time i woke up, my husband started mumbling half asleep, telling me to pick up the phone.  It was around 4 in the morning and the only places that the calls would possibly come from are Bangladesh and the US.  I picked up but they already hung up.  I went through the call list and it was Mom.

Mom knows it's dawn here at that time.  It wasn't normal for her to call at that time.  And i talked to her earlier that day.  So the only thing that went through my head was, please God know, don't let anything bad happen to them.  My heart was beating and I was frightened to death of bad news.  I called them right away, and to my relief, Mom answered with a normal cheerful voice, "Munni it's you! What's wrong is everything alright?" 

She didn't expect my call.  I talked to Dad and he explained the whole situation.  He mistakingly pressed my name when they were actually trying to go through all the current voicemails.   Ahh, phones nowadays are too complicated to use! 

I thanked Allah for letting everything be the way it is.  For a second I almost lost myself.  It felt like a really bad dream.  Then I thought, one day everyone's going to have to leave this world.   It's reality.  But for now, let me love my family as much as I can before any of us leave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment