29 April 2013

Pregnancy week 36: being thankful

Week 36 has come to an end and my body tells me that before I even consciously use my brain.  My body has done a pretty good job reminding me every monday, starting from week 5, that it's time to start a new week.  Symptoms like nausea, headache, and increased heart rate lets me know I'm another step closer till the end of pregnancy. Some special signs today were: horrible lower backpain, minor period-like cramps, more pressure below, feeling like my bump is dropping, actually sensing where baby's head is.  I have the worst stretch marks in the world, but it's ok. It was meant to happen no matter how much oil or lotion I applied.  I am still happy with my body.

It's a great feeling when you realize you made it through this far and your baby reached fullterm. His lungs are still developing, but he is just about ready to come out into this world. This all seems like a miracle. The concept of embryology, and the fact that I am carrying this growing miracle for almost 9 months.  I am content.

 This whole process of pregnancy helped me improve my confidence in a whole different level.  I realized how the society has this distorted image of an ideal woman, and sadly we try to follow it.  We try to impress others before satisfying ourselves, and we let other people's thoughtless comments influence our mind and body. Why? Before you want others to appreciate you, please begin with appreciating yourself.

Some pregnant women have huge bumps, others don't. Some gain over 30 pounds, others gain 20 or less.  Some glow others breakout, some change, some don't.  These things are out of our control, and it's efficient enough to hear the facts from our practitioners and midwives about what is good or bad for us.  The rest of the things you hear are just for the sake of an ongoing conversation.  "Honey you're supposed to gain more weight when you're pregnant" and several other classic lines are just pointless to even consider.  My advice for mommies and future mommies is just give importance to what your doc and midwife says and go with your instincts.  The rest is just bullshit. Don't stress on it.

I'm thankful for many things.  I am able to do everything normally despite my big bump.  So far I have no complications and the baby is in the right position.  Baby is making it through almost the entire 9 months and he is considered full term now with a regular heartbeat and normal movement. No more throwing up and finally consistent weight gain.  Meanwhile, almost all the main shopping for the new home is done so we are ready to move in.  My first semester in school is almost over now all I need is to pass with a good grade.  Allhamdulillah for everything.  Let my baby come to this world safely, amen.



1 comment:

  1. Have you decided any name for your baby? :)

    ReplyDelete