07 September 2011

Swedish words to know for driving. . .

I'm in a new continent so I need to start from scratch with everything, and that includes getting a Swedish driver's license.

My husband installed all these swedish license studyguides for me and it only overwhelmed me to see not only the enormous amount of depth of the traffic rules and regulations and the inside out of a vehicle (like getting a phd in driving), or how ridiculously expensive it is to actually get a license, but just the plane swedish i had to read. It was very confusing! I would ask him, why on earth would you install a Swedish program for me if you already know I will be taking the test in English? Then there were times when we needed a gps to go to several new places. He would turn on the gps and the next thing i know, I would hear a swedish female robot's voice telling me to "ta avfart" when im in the middle of the highway, very very lost. Again I ask him, why can't you just tell me to take the exit yourself? BEFOREHAND?????????

At the end, I love him for what he does. I couldn't thank him enough. He tries his best to make me learn as much swedish as fast as possible with the countless amount of things he does. The outcome always turns out great.

I have been taking the practice tests in swedish and not only have I found it easier to understand swedish, but I have also picked up some new terms that may be helpful in the future:

Bogserar - tow
Bromssträckan - braking distance
Däck - tire/wheel
Mönsterdjup - tread depth
Körfält - lane
Vägkanten - roadside
Omkörd - overtaken
Viltolycka - wildlife accident
Vägkorsning - crossroads
Lätt lastbil - light truck
Att lämna företräde - to give way
Avfart - exit
Säkerhetsbälte - safteybelt
Broms - brakes
Lätt släpvagn - light trailer
Varselljus - daytime running lights
Backkrön - hilltop
Döda vinkeln - blindspot
Krockkuddar - airbags
Spolarvatskan - washer fluid
Kylvätskan - coolant
Backe - slope
väjningsplikt - right of way

There are more, but these are the ones i have been encountering the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment