17 September 2011

Art of the Day - The victim



Anybody can be the victim.  Many of you have already been the victim during some point of your life. It's possible that this girl in the picture can be followed, mugged, beaten, raped, and/or killed.  As much as we wish for it, crime will never leave this world.  Judgment in the court will not make that huge of a difference in your life at the end since you already know that one or a few punishments will not teach the other criminals a lesson. We can always stay alert though.

I remember once when I was getting out from an early morning class 4 years ago back in Atlanta, I had to change classrooms, which meant changing buildings that were about 10minutes away from each other.
Early morning meant everything hadn't opened yet in downtown accept for banks and big offices and you would have thought that all the street bums would be sleeping at that time but it was incredible how those perverts woke up that early to start making nasty comments to every single girl that passed them by.

I hated the dark gloomy morning and I kept looking down at the pavement while I walked past the empty streets.  I heard comments coming from a man's voice behind me.  There were no other girls around me, so it had to be directed to me.  I kept walking and he kept talking, asking questions from couple meters behind me.  Next thing I knew was that I was being followed.  My pace got faster and he continued to follow.  I was partly in denial with the whole situation and I started becoming breathless.  I knew many friends that got mugged near the place where I was walking in broad daylight, and all I could do was walk fast and pray under my breath.  I kept reciting Ayat'ul Kursi and out of nowhere a university police slowly parked his bike by the building I was about to pass.  The police didn't see me, and when I looked behind, fingers crossed, I saw nothing but a clear path.  I didn't know where that man went, but I prayed that I would never have to see him again.

That 10minute walk was the longest 10minute walk of my life.  I thanked Allah for protecting me.  

4 comments:

  1. the artwork is strong. the eyes and of the "predator" piercing through the veil of darkness directed by the textural lines around its face toward the woman holding her phone is striking. even the "victim" is striking. the luminous blue and the black shade( reminiscent of a iphone) highlights the different world the victim is in. and because her eyes are shut, she is unaware of the dangers she is in.
    such a strong artwork (Y)
    cheers
    stumblethesewords.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the In-depth observation you gave for this artwork. Noticing the details and mood of a piece of art is what enhances the quality of the work. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Same thing happened to my mom! She was wearing these beautiful diamond earrings though. She was going to pick me up from school. All the sudden this man kept appearing wherever she went. She swore that she was being followed. She recited Ayat'ul Kursi and boom! The man was gone! :D Which is why she then taught it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really? She must have been terrified. Being followed in lets say Bangladesh can be an ordinary thing but here abroad, that can be a big thing to worry about. There are too many psychopaths out there! Ayat'ul Kursi really protects you from all that. Seriously, from that day on I would recite the surah before I left home and things seemed safer to me. So I'm happy your mom taught you that!

    ReplyDelete