17 May 2011

Don't Hate on American Girls

Why do some people automatically assume that American girls are tramps?  Just because they heard a couple of distracting stories doesn't mean that's all that goes on with girls over there.  I've heard the same stories in other areas of this world so why put more emphasis on a girl from the US?  Seriously, everybody be hating on us.  We get it so bad..worse than European girls.  I just don't understand why it has always been that way. 

When my husband told my father-in-law about me for the first time, everything was ok, until some old friend of his warned him about American girls, telling him they're "danger".  Off went his sleep at night and i guess from that day on he had an image of me being some uncivilized airhead who would lead his son astray..until he finally got to know the real me.

From the time i turned 20 I've heard some guys saying that they will eventually go marry a girl from Bangladesh because the ones down here are not up to their family's standards.  So they mess around and go out with one or 2, even 3 nice american girls and eventually break their hearts, dump them make them realize how pathetic they really are and settle down with a "real desi girl" from the desh.  It's funny how even after all this, it's only the american girl that gets blamed for everything that happens.

Years back, a couple of bengalis once told me I lacked values.  Family values.  I was told that only because i was raised in the US.  They assumed that since I've been living there for so long, I know absolutely nothing about culture. That I was too "Americanized".Time to time that small, trivial little opinion of those people still gets to me.  Because those people also lived in America, not to mention they were my age.  I thought people of our generation would at least broaden their horizen a bit, and consider that this world is not just black and white.

Theres a minority that tends to generalize America, but isn't that how the world works?  It's always the bad guys that get more attention.  Just like how it is thought that Islam is not a religion of peace, but all about suicide bombing, or all blacks are criminals, that all white people in the world are racists and alcoholics. 

All American girls are not tramps. 




3 comments:

  1. Hej hej !

    Wow a Bangladeshi American who has moved to Sweden !! How drunk were you ?

    I was in Oslo last month for work and a German colleague had moved there from California. You cannot imagine the amount of joking I did with him.

    As a Bangladeshi here in Stockholm I am really proud to have found someone blogging about their experiences in Sweden. I have added you to my google reader so do write more !!

    All the best with your Swedish language courses and so on and I hope that you are enjoying the wonderful Swedish spring and summer !

    :)

    /Mostofa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hej Mostafa!

    Appreciate you visiting my blog!

    Yup, it is quite ironic for an American desi to move to Sweden, but you will be surprised to know that there are more women out their who is in the same place as me. But hey, it's a privelige to live a different life in a totally different continent and learn things to get an even broader thinking of life. After all, life is too short :D

    I wish your colleague all the best. I feel his pain!

    It is an honor to recieve such sincerity from a fellow Bangladeshi blogger from Sweden.

    Thank you for your kind wishes and I really hope I can get through the challenging new language successfully. Or else there is no other way out is there!

    I fall in love with Sweden's summer each time I experience it. This is indeed the best place to be for summer! Magnificent!

    Definitely keep reading! I'll keep writing!

    -Tanjina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I know someone feels like me! Because every time when I visit elders, they always "talk behind my back" in Bangla. For some reason, they think that JUST because I was born and raised in the U.S., I don't know the language! But even then, I know, that not all elders are narrow-minded. Why can't they do the same?

    ReplyDelete