14 April 2011

Who's the FOB now?

When i was younger, I used to make fun of fobs, because my friends did it, and i thought it was cool so i turned out worse than them.  Now i think about it.  I made fun of people that were referred to as "fobs" because at the time, those kids stood out as typical desis who were only trying to adjust to their new surroundings.  People would laugh at fobs because they would have a strong accent when they talked english, and dress differently, think differently, not get jokes or the like.

Hmm, I live in Sweden now.  A place where desis seldom mention the word FOB.  When i speak this country's native language i can only imagine how big of an idiot i sound like.  When i dress like an awfully ordinary girl while the rest look their best I wonder if i stand out as an "immigrant".   When swedish conversations go on I have so much to say but don't have that many ways to express it with the limited boring words i know.  So now I'm the quiet girl once again...little ms. quiet munni all over again.  Wonderful.

Us desis, especially in the states, make fun of other desis' broken english.  Try coming here, and try speaking your broken swedish.  You will wonder why you ever laughed about so called "FOBS" that are probably or will probably be better off than any of us in the long-run. 

I first heard the word FOB when i was around 11.  I lived in Norcross, GA then.  All the white people started to move away up north and a lot of the latinos, blacks and desis started swirming in around that time.  Every other indian, bengali, or pakistani in my school was called a FOB.  Unless they were completely brainwashed and americanized, they would be picked on. 

I got older and it started getting worse.  I heard the term ABCD (American born confused desi).  Unlike some people, I was definitely not proud to be called one.  I wasn't confused! Deep inside i really hated the whole division within desis based on whether they were citizens or immigrants.  I would think, my parents were once immigrants.  Even after several years of living in America there are times when they still feel like 2nd class citizens.  Would they be FOBs?  What about now, with me?  Living in a place I am not so familiar with makes me a FOB?

It was stupid of me to even think that way before.  And it's sad how many southasians, mostly in the US, have this mentality.  I come to Sweden and meet tons of immigrants from places all over the world.  They all have different english accents but accent at this point doesn't really matter to us because we are only trying to communicate, be it in english or swedish.  So why is it such a big deal in the US?  Why would you generalize a certain group of people without knowing the half of it?   It just shows ignorance. 

So now I'm the girl with the funny accent, and boring clothes, aggressive driving, having those blond moments while everyone around me laughs and socialize in swedish.  The "typical desi housewife" which is every girl's nightmare.  I'm the outcast.  The immigrant.  I'm fresh off the boat.   

No comments:

Post a Comment